Anthony “Tony” Frank Hawk is a professional skateboarder, actor, and owner of the Birdhouse skateboard company in the United States. As of 2022, Tony Hawk’s net worth is estimated to be $140 Million.
He is well-known for being the first person to complete the first documented 900 and for his licensed video game titles. Hawk is widely regarded as a pioneer of modern vertical skateboarding and one of its most successful and influential riders.
|Full Name||Anthony Frank Hawk|
|Date of Birth||May 12, 1968|
|Birthplace||San Diego, California, United States|
|Profession||Skateboarder, Actor, Radio personality, Film Producer|
|Net Worth||$140 million|
- Tony Hawk was born in San Diego, California, on May 12, 1968, to Nancy and Frank Peter Rupert Hawk. He grew up in San Diego. Pat and Lenore are his older sisters, and Steve is his older brother.
- Hawk was described as “hyperactive” as a child, and according to his mother, he was “so hard on himself and expected himself to do so many things.” Hawk once struck out in baseball and became so distraught that he sought refuge in a ravine, where he was “physically coaxed out” by his father. His dissatisfaction with himself was so intense that his parents had him evaluated psychologically at school.
- Tony was determined to be “gifted,” with an IQ of 144, and school counselors recommended that he be placed in advanced classes. Hawk attended Jean Farb Middle School from 1980 to 1981 and later returned for Rick Reilly’s show Homecoming, where he set up a ramp and demonstrated skateboarding.
- His parents encouraged him to skate because it provided an outlet for his excess energy. Hawk’s abilities developed, and at the age of 14, he became a professional skateboarder.
- For 12 consecutive years, he was the National Skateboard Association’s world champion.
- Hawk graduated from Torrey Pines High School in 1986 after attending three high schools. At the time, he cited Steve Caballero and Christian Hosoi as influences.
Tony Hawk Net Worth & Career
Hawk signed with the Powell Peralta professional team at the age of 14 and went on to star in the popular Bones Brigade videos. Though Hawk was always regarded as a premier street skater, it was critical for him to establish himself as a “vert” (vertical) skater, which he accomplished throughout the 1980s and 1990s. By the age of 16, he was regarded as one of the world’s best skateboarders.
Hawk went on to dominate skateboarding competitions, reigning as the National Skateboard Association’s world champion for 12 consecutive years and winning over 70 contests along the way. Additionally, he invented a number of moves that are now considered standard in the sport, including the gymnast plant, the ollie-to-Indy, the Saran wrap, and the frontside 540-rodeo flip.
Tony Hawk’s meteoric rise paralleled the popularisation of skateboarding. He competed and performed skating demonstrations throughout the world to raise awareness of the sport. However, by the early 1990s, skateboarding had waned in popularity, and times became lean.
Interest in skateboarding began to grow in 1995, with the establishment of the Extreme Games (later X Games). Tony Hawk has won ten X Games gold medals, three silver medals, and two bronze medals.
Hawk achieved what has become his most famous and legendary feat at the 1999 X Games: he became the first skateboarder to successfully land a 900, which refers to the 900 degrees that a skateboarder revolves while in the air on a skateboard. He attempted eleven times before succeeding, declaring afterward that “this is the best day of my life.” Hawk was still able to land his signature trick more than 12 years later, inspiring people both inside and outside the world of skateboarding.
Hawk retired from competitive skating following the trip, though he has maintained an active presence. Hawk was the first person to receive official permission to skateboard on the White House grounds in 2009, after being invited to a Father’s Day celebration by then-President Barack Obama. Hawk was also inducted into the Skateboards Hall of Fame in 2009 in its inaugural ceremony. Hawk was named the second most influential skateboarder in the world, behind Mark Gonzales, by Transworld Skateboarding Magazine in December 2011.
Given the large number of products bearing Hawk’s name, his net worth should come as no surprise. Even when skateboarding was not as popular, Hawk achieved success by founding Birdhouse, a skateboarding company that produced boards and accessories, and Blitz, a distribution company for skateboarding products. Hawk Clothing began in 1998 with the goal of developing skatewear for children.
Hawk signed a deal with Activision in 1998 to develop the video game Tony Hawk Pro Skater. The game series spawned 18 distinct titles and amassed enormous popularity. The series has grossed over $1.4 billion to date, making it one of the most successful video game franchises of all time.
Hawk founded Boom Boom HuckJam in 2002 as a traveling sports show that combined elements of a live concert and a sporting event. The tour featured performances by popular musical acts as well as up-and-coming vert skaters and BMX riders.
Hawk has appeared in a number of feature films and television series, including XXX, the entirety of the Jackass: The Movie franchise, The Simpsons, The Masked Singer, and Sharknado 5: Global Swarming.
Tony has invested in over a dozen ventures, including Birdhouse Skateboards, Hawk Clothing, and 900 films, a production company. Birdhouse is one of the world’s most popular skateboard brands today.
He was one of a few early investors in Blue Bottle Coffee, which Nestle acquired for $500 million in 2017.
Tony Hawk Net Worth
As of 2022, Tony Hawk personal wealth is estimated to be $140 million.
Tony Hawk Net Worth Growth
|Net worth in 2022||$140 million|
|Net worth in 2021||$130 million|
|Net worth in 2020||$116 million|
Hawk married Cindy Dunbar in April 1990, after dating her since high school. Riley Hawk, the couple’s son, was born on December 6, 1992, and was named after one of Hawk’s ancestors. Additionally, Riley is a professional skateboarder. In 1993, Hawk and Dunbar divorced.
From 1996 to 2004, Hawk was married to Erin Lee. They have two sons, Spencer (b. 1999) and Keegan (b. 2001). Spencer is a music producer who goes by the moniker Gupi.
From 2006 to 2011, Hawk was married to Lhotse Merriam. Their wedding took place in Fiji. In 2008, the couple welcomed their only child, a daughter named Kadence Clover Hawk.
Hawk married his fourth wife, Cathy Goodman, in a ceremony in Limerick, Ireland, on June 27, 2015.
- Anthony “Tony” Frank Hawk is a professional skateboarder, actor, and owner of the Birdhouse skateboard company.
- He was born in San Diego, California, on May 12, 1968.
- As of 2022, the net worth of Tony Hawk is estimated to be $140 million.